Below is a short review of Delaware Speed Laws. The speed limits identified below are the maximum legal speed limits when there is no speed sign posted. It is your responsibility as a Delaware motorist to recognize the speed classification of the area in which you are driving and adhere to the speed limits for those areas when there is no speed sign visible.
1. SCHOOL ZONE – 20 MPH
2. RESIDENTIAL – 25 MPH
3. TWO LANE OPEN ROAD (non residential/one lane each direction) – 50 MPH
4. FOUR LANES OR MORE – 55 MPH
5. I-495 & ROUTE #1 – 65 MPH
6. GENERAL SPEED LAW – never legal to travel at an unsafe speed either too fast or too slow.
The following are a couple of additional points about speed limits:
1. BLACK & WHITE speed limit signs identify the maximum legal speed under normal driving conditions.
2. YELLOW & BLACK speed limit signs are advisory (recommended) maximum speed under normal driving conditions, but they do not reflect the actual legal maximum speed.
3. Please keep in mind no matter what the color of the speed limit sign the GENERAL SPEED LAW (Police Officer) is the controlling authority.
4. It is important to know that the speed limit sign is placed at the point where the enforcement begins. Just because you can see the sign up ahead does not give you the legal right to accelerate to that higher speed before reaching the sign. The same principal applies to reducing your speed by the time you reach that new lower posted area.
QUESTION: SPEEDING – is the time saved worth the cost? “YOU BE THE JUDGE “!